Thursday, February 13, 1992

224 College St., Oberlin

Yesterday, the moment I opened my front door, the phone rang and it was Amina. Then just after we hung up, there was a knock on the door and it was Luyen. We’ve been having problems, but we’re starting to be willing to work on them and we communicated silently via the computer. We took turns writing things to each other that were too hard to say out loud. It was good, but there’s still more healing to be done.

Today we broke some ground. It didn’t start off well and we yelled at each other for a while but at least she was communicating and finally she let me know exactly what about her father’s death was still bothering her and only then was I able to focus on her pain and find words to say to her. We needed that breakthrough and I hope she’ll have the confidence to tell me things without me having to wring it out of her.