Sunday, August 14, 1994

247 19th Ave., #2, San Francisco

I think Joy and I are a couple. We've been doing so much and we've gotten so close so fast. I met her on July 4, then I received a letter from her on the 121h, I called her the next Friday on the 15th, and we got together for the second time on the next day, the 16th.

So much happened in the next two weeks before I went to New Jersey. Walks and talks in parks and cemeteries, oblivious of the time. Movies and meals, her eyes and the comfort with which she accepted me into her home. So many times across her dinner table, so many times over dinner. How quickly she has become familiar, a part of my life. Part of my life? Why does that just not feel right?

I got back home from New Jersey on Friday night and Joy was leaving for LA on Saturday morning. I called her from the airport as soon as I got in and we arranged to meet the next morning. We just hung out for a couple hours at her place before I took her to the airport.

I picked her up from the airport when she got back on Thursday and we went to see the movie 'Eat Drink Man Woman' after spending some time at her place. We blew bubbles outside of her building.

Today we went to Angel Island with the J-town Youth Leadership Seminar group. It wasn't uncomfortable with Tria, and Tria seems to have taken to Joy. We drove Tria home to San Rafael and ended up going to Tria's favorite hill and hung out there for a while.

On the way back to Berkeley, Joy and I got into a discussion about alcohol. When we got to her place we decided that as long as we started the topic, we should try to exhaust it to some degree. I think she appreciated that I was willing and able to tackle the issue without getting defensive and running away from it. I hope it told her something about my character.

It was a heavy discussion. I don't think I fully convinced her, but I think she trusted my perception and treatment of the issue. I don't like being any less than sober when I'm around her, and I think if we get into a long term relationship, I would have to stop drinking. If we did, I wouldn't tell her right away that I've stopped drinking. But I have no intention of stopping any time soon.

The discussion of alcohol continued and after dinner, we moved from the dinner table over to the couch and we got comfortable. We lay in opposite directions on the couch and after a while I put my hand on one of her . . . feet. And she one on mine.

Hours. It got late and it was briefly considered that I stay the night, but I felt I had to come home since I have to register for law school tomorrow. We hugged for a long time and she felt so comfortable. And that, I suppose, is when we could say it started.