Saturday, January 31, 1998

198 Shakespeare St., San Francisco

The first month of a new year. What monument marks this passing? What events are worthy of mention? What happened? What was happening? Did anything change? What was important? What was meaningful? Who was I? You know life is getting boring when the questions are more interesting than the answers.

1997 ended and 1998 began; I was in New Jersey. I drove to New Jersey alone after Josephine and I permanently ended our relationship as it was and as it had been. We didn't even make it six months, we fell short by about three days. But we started re-envisioning the relationship again in near-epiphany and she started serious work and progress on her personality that she wants and needs.

We started officially going out for the second time on January 5. No relationships in between the first and second. All I'll say at this point is that her changes appear to be working. We've had some problems, but they weren't her fault entirely, and we were able to work through them. It looks like our relationship will be able to have problems that don't lead to a complete break down. Inshah'allah.

What else? Not much else. I don't have a whole lot to say. I don't feel a whole lot anymore. Mellow from age perhaps.

What am I doing with my life?

I'm not taking any classes this semester. I have nine credits left to graduate. I'm registered for a six credit thesis for which I have to write 60 pages by the end of the summer. The thesis is going to be something about obstacles and practical considerations in realizing a regional human rights organization in Southeast Asia.

As for the last three credits, I might go to Bangkok again and take the Regional Organizations class I signed up for and dropped last summer. In the alternative, I'm doing research for a Bay Area human rights organization that sponsors interns to go to Geneva to make interventions to agenda items. I can probably get credit for that work whether or not I go to Geneva.

It is difficult not having any classes, it's hard to focus, it's hard to discipline. I waste a lot of time, I'm spending far too much time on music and photography. I need to clamp down and work out some sort of schedule or I'm going to be in big trouble. Sixty pages is daunting.