Saturday, July 25, 1998

Series VIII, Roll 8 (Pentax ZX-5n, Tri-X): Taiwan

Trip with family to beach house:

I have no extant writing to figure out what was going on this month. Josephine and I had another final break-up in the late Spring, which was a large part of my decision to leave San Francisco for the Summer to go on the Bangkok Program for the second year in a row.

She did move out while I was gone, maybe even before I left. But while I was on the program, Anita went to India and invited Josephine along. On her trip there, she had a layover in Bangkok for several hours. You can see where this is going, don't you?

After the program was over, Josephine and I met in Taiwan and we went on a roadtrip from Kaohsiung, down south and then up the east coast. I do remember significant portions of the roadtrip. What I don't remember is any interaction with Audrey or my family while I was staying with them in Kaohsiung!

From the dates of these photographs, I must have been staying with them for up to a week until Josephine came and we went on our roadtrip. I do have a few color photos, too, which indicate significant family involvement that I really don't remember.


Frame 4 - I thought this was from the roadtrip, but it doesn't gel with the dates that I was with Josephine. Our roadtrip didn't last that long. So this must be from a family trip. I vaguely recall that we stayed at a beach house of a friend of my uncle's, but I might be completely making this up. I have no memory at all of Audrey from this visit, but I know she met Josephine, because I remember Josephine thought Audrey was cool.


Frame 6 - Taiwan and Japan use these gigantic concrete jacks to prevent erosion. They look like jacks.


Frame 12 - You can see waves breaking over the concrete barriers on the right side.

Color archive, 1998 second half (Pentax IQZoom 115m): These color shots were a mystery until I started piecing all my negatives together and chronologizing them.


Frame 1 - The only significance of this shot is that this type of rock is the same as in some of the black and whites. So it's just evidence that they were taken at the same time period, if not the exact same day.


Frame 2 - I shot this sunset from the beach house we were staying at. The one I think my uncle's friend owned.


Frame 3 - I vaguely remember waking up from this. I crashed on the hammock, and I think it was Audrey who tossed the towel on me and shot this with my camera. I have no concrete memory image of Audrey at all.