Friday, June 01, 1990

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

It does strike me. It does hurt, what happened, but nothing can be changed. Warning signs sounded, and things just didn’t click anyway, they stopped clicking after the first month or two. I became too dominant. I don’t want to dominate in a relationship, there needs to be balance.

I don’t like the upper hand in a power play and that’s what relationships are or become. I hate it when the other person starts sacrificing too much of their personalities in order to accommodate my wants, needs, and, eventually, my whims.

I can’t deal with it when it feels like it’s becoming all about me. I want the person I love to just be themselves and not feel a need to accommodate me. Am I that scary to get along with? Is the problem me? Will it happen with Sakuko? It has been a pattern so far, and the relationship gets dull when I call all the shots and everything is about making me happy. That doesn’t make me happy.