Tuesday, June 11, 1991

84 S. Park, Oberlin

Well, I’m packed and set to go back to New Jersey, the lion's den. Things are just ready to explode under a polite veneer of carefully hidden provocations and tests. But we do try to sound oh so delightfully nice to each other. Where did I get this fucked up idea that parents are supposed to be concerned about their children’s lives and futures; that they look out for their best interests? It just doesn’t work that way.

I need to latch onto people who I care about and who care about me. When things start falling apart, keep in mind that there are people who matter. Usually when things go wrong I’m focused on the negative moment and only think about myself and my own destruction. It may be just an exercise, but it might be a good defense to run people like Amina and Frances through my mind when things get hot.