Thursday, June 27, 1991

Fort Lee, NJ

I got the letter from Amina. What can I say? She’s the same wonderful person I knew all semester. She didn’t give me the word I asked for, but she managed to say the right things to give me a proper understanding of our . . . situation.

I understand this situation. A love that doesn’t get pursued, such a love. How can I be cynical? I thought that there was nothing that could prepare me for whatever news a letter could bring. I guess the anxiety of the anticipation made anything a relief. So I’m very much at ease with this, not to forget that no emotion will last.

I’m glad to have the air cleared and I’m no longer embarrassed about the mess of my feelings. She has totally endeared herself to me. What can I do? I’m just happy that she’s alive and that I know her. I’m not asking for any more.

This past semester is gone, it should sit back as happy memories. We will change as will our relationship. Fortunately, only three people know what she is to me, Frances, Amina and myself. It’s a lot of love flowing around and I won’t act like I can stop it and make it permanent. And I will always have the card she sent from the airport, and the most important words to me in her handwriting.