Tuesday, April 04, 2000

1557 Noe St., San Francisco

I ordered my own drumset yesterday! Maybe my dream Yamaha kit. I'm getting a Beech Custom kit placing faith in Manu Katche. He currently plays a Beech Custom, which is a different set than what I've heard him play with Peter Gabriel in the early '90's. He says the Beech isn't as good as the earlier one, but it's what Yamaha is offering now and it still sounds very nice. Getting my own drumset guarantees I'll be doing something besides Fiction. It means that I will be playing bass and drums.

We're supposed to record next Sunday, but Lisa broke her finger this past weekend playing football. It looks like we're going to go ahead with recording, but it's all about symbolism. Chris broke his collarbone last August, definitively ending Fiction in the form that it was. We've done absolutely nothing since then. Lisa had eight months in which to break her stupid finger and not affect anything. Coincidence that she breaks her finger a week before recording? Definitely, definitely not.

Even if we do record, how I interpret the symbolism remains the same. Things with this band just don’t move forward. I will record, though, to take this recording as a reward, something tangible to show what I've been doing with these people for the last year and a half. I'm so done, but I want the recording.