Monday, September 04, 2000

Series IX, Roll 1 (Fujica ST605n, Tri-X):

West Indian Carnaval, New York: In September 2005, I found an old roll of film in my Fujica. The Fujica's light meter wasn't working anymore, so I transferred the film out and put it into the Pentax K2 and finished shooting the roll, anxious to get it done so I could develop it and see when the roll of film was from.

It turns out that it was from this day, when I went into New York with an old high school friend, Liz, who I have since lost touch with, and we went to the West Indian Carnaval in Brooklyn. I was able to pinpoint the exact date because I often keep notes of what I do on any particular day in my appointment book, usually for photography reasons, but sometimes just to make a note about a day to try to remember it in the future. I think these notes were taken for photography reasons.

This roll of black and white spans the longest amount of time of any roll of B&W film I have, from September 2000 to September 2005!


Frame 1 - This shot isn't West Indian Carnaval. It looks like mid-town Manhattan, but I don't remember it or what we were doing there. Come to think of it, there's no evidence that this was the same day as the Carnaval excursion. It may be from a different trip into the city on a different day.


Frame 9 - I wanted to go to West Indian Carnaval to maybe catch some real steel drumming - orchestras 50 to 100 people strong. Unfortunately, there were only a few smaller groups present. The main steel drum event, Panorama, occurs on the Saturday night of Carnaval weekend. I didn't make it to a Panorama until September 2004. It was incredible.


Frame 10


Frame 15