Thursday, December 28, 1989

Englewood Cliffs, NJ
I had a dream last night. It was a bright sunny day over the Hudson River on the George Washington Bridge. Season unknown, I don’t remember if there were any cars. I was walking across the Bridge from the New York side towards the New Jersey side. It was a long, long walk and the part on which I was walking wasn’t even the suspension part of the bridge.

But it wasn’t solid concrete below my feet, it was more like fragile sandstone or limestone formed into a chainlike configuration with holes where I could look all the way down to the river. Each step had to be carefully negotiated and there was no end to my anxiety about heights. Other people were also making the crossing but they played no major role in the dream.

Then my friend Dwight showed up. I don’t remember if he said anything but the feeling he exuded in his attitude was “don’t worry, everything’s cool, everything’s gonna be fine, relax”. At which point he jumped off the limestone catwalk, but his presence and its feelings remained. The dream goes on but only this part I’ve figured out.

The precarious catwalk is my outlook of my near future - the next eight months or so, not knowing what I’ll end up doing, being careful to make all the right decisions. Dwight is going to California. That’s definite, that’s why he was so secure on the catwalk, his jumping off was going to California, my option. Do I keep on my current precarious path or do I follow Dwight to California? The question has found its way to my unconsciousness. If I’m interpreting it right. I think later in the dream, I’m about to reach the other side and I totally forget what happens when I get there. I think the terminal on the other side looked like the 42nd Street Port Authority terminal.