I did my second function with the catering company and it was actually enjoyable, even without Tria there on the job. It's about people, I guess. Even though they were all white, the rest of the crew is what made it enjoyable. They had a rapport and camaraderie that made working with them cool. I was glad to find that I could adapt to doing that sort of thing, with that sort of people, for that sort of people.
The job was up in Marin, and as long as I was up there, I managed to catch up with Tria and we hung out for several hours. It was pleasant being with her. She really is quite fun, and occasionally, only occasionally, we can engage in a conversation of a more serious nature.
Just before I reached her house, I hit and killed a rabbit with my car. That really shook me up and threw my reality into disarray. I had felt that I would never kill an animal with my car. I felt that was just a given, it wouldn't happen. I felt that I was special because of that. I barely even saw the rabbit. Just a flash in the corner of my eye, an unexpected movement in the headlights, I automatically swerved and I could have sworn that I didn't hit it. But then I decided to stop and go back to just to make sure, and when I saw the rabbit's body, I was shocked. I was stunned and pulled the car over immediately. I felt empty and drained in disbelief. I felt betrayed. I've always felt protected by an angel or a spirit, and part of that protection entailed my not harming innocent animals with my car. I got out to look for a stick to at least push the rabbit to the side of the road, but just then another came by and hit the rabbit again with a sickening sound.
So much for faith in certain things. Can I be so sure now that I will never attend any funeral of anyone close to me? Can I be sure that I will die before anyone I know? That is another given.
Of all animals, why did it have to be a rabbit?