Thursday, October 22, 1998

198 Shakespeare St., San Francisco

Aquarius: Fight against the urge to stir things up. Sometimes it’s better to give up than to drown in futility. Spend your resources on battles that you know you can win, and don’t buy more trouble than you can afford. Guard against feelings of pride and arrogance. They could become your tragic flaws if you let them have free reign. Even a well-intentioned prank can turn into something uglier. Channel your efforts to where they will do the most good. This is not a good time to exhibit your weaknesses. Predators have no sympathy.

A pretty good day. I got almost eight hours of sleep last night and I think that has a lot to do with it. I’m getting old, I have to face it, and need more sleep. Just this year I extended my sleeping needs to seven hours, but lately I haven’t even been able to do that.

I had a dream, but I don’t remember it all. What I do remember is that an acquaintance from law school was in love with me and always has been. There was a gentleness and tenderness about the dream, which took place at night in a city. A quaint city that conjured perhaps a residential area of Bangkok, or New Orleans. I remember the distinct youthful feeling of being loved and being in love, so different from what I have with Josephine.

We were just about to reconcile when she told me that she burned the bracelet that I gave her over the summer when she stopped over in Bangkok on her way to India. That bracelet symbolized our second chance, and she burned it.

Last Summer, when we went to Ayuthaya, we bought bracelets to symbolize our togetherness. But in the tumult of our relationship that followed, we both got rid of them. Then I went to Bangkok this Summer and when she came to Bangkok, I presented her with two bracelets, one that I was going to put on her, and the other she put on me. I said, “let’s give this another try”.

It was the symbol of our second chance and she burned it. Symbols are important. And her burning the bracelet told me more about her than all our struggling to reconcile over the phone tonight, more than all our unwillingness to verbally put the final nail in the coffin of our relationship. That act told me that the relationship, for our own good, is over. Irregardless of how many times we get back together.