I told them I got into a school. And out of it, I got the drumset, a car, and going to Oberlin for the Summer. No questions asked. Not bad. They'll try to renege if possible. They won't on the drumset or car, that's only several thousands of dollars, no real loss to them. But as for going to Oberlin for the Summer I can see them trying to put pressure against it. Tough beans.
They have such gall. They pat themselves on the back. They said, “Now all the money we spent is worth it." They said that. Apparently, one of their parents commented that they were the most successful parents amongst their siblings. Their response was, "No, not until he gets into law school." They said that. Now, they consider themselves the most successful parents amongst their siblings. They say I have desire for good things now, so now I have the motivation to make money. They said that. What?!
They said more, and all through it I kept my mouth shut and my fist clenched under the table in an effort to shut out the offenses pouring out of their mouths. They rewarded my endurance and stoicism by forking out money for me to go out and buy the damn drumset. I take the money and ask myself if it's worth it. They had this cash lying around. They haven’t lost or sacrificed anything.