Tuesday, May 04, 1993

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

The fuckheads have grudgingly accepted that if they want me in law school, they’d better accept my choice of which school. I’m still pressing them for the car. In fact, I mentioned the car right in the midst of them attempting to make me feel guilty about giving up an $18,000 scholarship. I smugly made clear that it wasn’t my money.

They’ve clearly betrayed their “money is love” mantra. That’s too bad after all the time and effort I spent shooting holes in the idea. It’s much simpler than I’ve made it all out to be. “Money as love” was just a means to disguise their self-interest. Who would expect me to accept money as a surrogate for emotions and interactions parents are supposed to have with their off-spring? Although it’s true that there are plenty of families which have neither.

But since this isn’t another family, I’m on the warpath to spend their money, and spend their money I will. Tomorrow I go look for a car. I’m looking at Nissan Pathfinders, the most expensive of its type. I need something that can haul music equipment around. I think I need a CD changer, too.