I took today off from work. Last Tuesday Ritu was committed by her boyfriend because he thought she was trying to kill herself. By law, apparently, she could only be committed for 72 hours. She wasn't even in for that long. Her friend Somini, a reporter for the New York Times, flew out and took her out of the hospital and placed Ritu on 24-hour watch.
Apparently Somini got her share of abuse, including being assaulted by her on the street and eventually being kicked out of the apartment, which led to her departure. The watch, however, continued with various friends and associates, including Angela who took a 14-hour watch Saturday into Sunday morning. No one was able to keep Ritu from drinking.
Anita took over watch on Sunday and she wanted me to help her out at some point. She was scared and knew that she couldn't handle her alone. I understood, I sure couldn't. I went over in the evening and we spent the evening drinking and smoking. We weren't going to fight her, knowing the futility. So we placated her to numbness. I knew when to stop smoking, then when to stop drinking, and then when to leave. Anita was to stay over all night and Ritu's friend, Tina, was to take her into rehab on Monday morning.
She didn't make it. She finished off a bottle of Jack Daniel's in the morning and the rehab center refused to admit her. Tina gave Anita a big lecture about enabling Ritu, but then Tina was going to watch her until today. That made me laugh, knowing what Tina was in for. I don't know if she made it in. I can't wait to hear what Tina went through.