Ritu did make it in yesterday afternoon. Apparently Tina refuses to talk about what happened and refused to talk to Anita. She made it in yesterday, but she didn't last long. I think they kicked her out today. I was supposed to have a case meeting with Angela today, but we ended up dealing with Ritu and her cousin and brother, Neeta and Rahul, who were flying in. Neeta and Rahul came first to the office to be briefed by Angela and me, while apparently Ritu was sitting outside her apartment since she didn't have her keys.
We gave our opinions and recommendations. We believed that the most favorable course of action was for them to get Ritu and fly her back to New York immediately. We warned that Ritu might resist, and if she did, we recommended that Neeta's father fly out to get her. We strongly advised that her father not come out. Neeta and Rahul concurred with just about everything. They've known her for much longer.
Ritu is totally spiraling down. I recognize it. I even reflected upon my own experience to inform my recommendations on how Ritu should be handled. I even had some benign flashbacks of memories that I had forgotten. She's no where near rock bottom yet. Through these manic, psychotic weeks, the breakdowns, the drinking, the whimpering and whining, the thoughts of suicide, she was on the way down, but no where near.
That wasn't rock bottom. Trying to commit suicide is not rock bottom. She was resisting on Monday morning and delaying going to rehab. When she got there she was asking questions about whether she had her own room and the food and the cleanliness of the bathrooms. In her well-kempt psychotic state, I imagine. But you don't think of those things when you've hit rock bottom. You can think of those things when you're still on the way down.
Rock bottom is when you've survived suicide and realize that it isn't the solution that it had provided. Rock bottom is when you've had your freedom stripped away from you and suicide has faded as an option. Rock bottom is when you have to start looking up because there is no further to look down. Rock bottom is when you realize you have to start crawling back up out of the hole you've dug for yourself. And Ritu is no where near.