Thursday, August 17, 2000

1557 Noe St., San Francisco

Ritu called from New York. Neeta and Rahul succeeded. She's going to a rehab center in Upstate that Somini knew about and arranged. Ritu's parents now know the full situation. Actually, I think they knew of the situation a few days ago, but Ritu now has faced them knowing they know the full situation. She has nothing more to fear about them anymore. She is in New York, her family is there, her social support network is there. She’s away from this awful, distant place for which she had nary a good word, for which she was only present for a boyfriend. The rehab program is a month long and she thinks she’s coming right back to work. I don’t think that’s a good idea and I don’t think that’s going to happen. She has no reason to come back out here.