Monday, June 09, 1997

Bangkok, Thailand

A group of us went to a resort town about two hours away yesterday and stayed overnight. Three cars. I was in Ja’s car with Neng and Josephine. We spent most of yesterday getting down there, stopping for lunch at a seafood restaurant on a beach. The breezes were just heavenly. We rented bungalows on a beach and played cards and music and had dinner at a night market and ice cream at Swensen’s.

Today we went banana-boating. It’s a long, cylindrical rubber raft that up to five people ride while a jet ski pulls. The idea is that the people riding the banana-boat get dunked. That’s entertainment! We also went to King Rama VI’s summer palace before heading back and I learned my first Thai civic lesson - never even suggest criticism about the King.

This evening I chatted with Josephine for several hours. It seems we have a lot in common and value similar things. She’s different on the inside from what she is on the outside, and that was kind of nice to find, except to the extent that it means she has a lot of problems.

But I’m through with finding people I have anything in common with. I’ve met plenty of people I have “a lot in common with”, and those acquaintances have turned up nothing. Maybe that’s part of adulthood. When you’re younger, you gravitate towards people who you have something in common with. Adults don’t care about that sort of thing. Adults care about how much money you make, what sort of connection you are for their network, how good of an accessory you will be for them.


Overnight Trip to Beach: Series VI, Roll 2 (Pentax K2, Ilford HP5)


Frame 24 - Morning Walk for Monks


Frame 28 - Poh


Frame 31 - Kuk and a happy (stranger) dog.

Frame 32-35 - Josephine








Series VI, Roll 3 (Pentax K2, Tri-X):

Last shot from the beach resort:

Frame 1 - Poh drying her hair after banana boating, and Philip. My negatives were screwed up by Thai photoprocessing, but I've grown to like the unintended effect.

King Rama VI's Summer Palace:

Frame 2 - Very open air.


Frame 3 - We were able to just roam around.


Frame 4 - This looks like an altar to the king.


Frame 5 - Hot Summer, cool palace, nice place to sleep.


Frame 6 - This causeway led to a seaside view.


Frame 7 - Ja, Kuk, Neng, and Josephine


Frame 8 - Rey, Philip, Poh, and Mem. Again, negative destroyed by Thai photoprocessing, but I like the effect. And this wasn't nearly as bad as when they later lost a roll of negatives.


Frame 9 - One seriously relaxing day. In order from left to right: Ja, Mem, Poh, Philip, Jason, Kuk, Josephine, Neng, and Rey.


Frame 15 - Kuk and Poh

fin