Sunday, June 15, 1997

Bangkok, Thailand

We took a field trip to the “floating market”. Philip had been there before years ago and he said that it used to be a lot larger and that it appeared now to be geared to tourists, rather than a natural local economy. The natural local economy probably realized it could make much more money if it geared itself to tourists. We were tourists.

Floating Market: Series VI, Roll 3 (Pentax K2, Tri-X)

Frames 31-32 - coconut vendor




Frame 34 - Josephine's back. Floating Market.


Frame 35 - Thai child.


We had lunch at a famous artist’s house because Khun Thaitow had the connection, as far as I gathered, and then we went to what was clearly a tourist trap that I won’t even describe. We also went to what is considered to be the first Buddhist temple in Thailand. Being there set my thoughts reeling, I don’t know why.

First Buddhist Temple in Thailand: Series VI, Roll 4 (Pentax K2, Ilford XP2)


Frame 1


Frame 2


Frame 3

Buddhist temples put me in a strange place. I usually close off to the people around me, and I observe what people do in observance of their Buddhist faith. I observed the tourist going through the motions and doing what Buddhists do, lighting incense and candles, and kneeling or praying.

That’s fine, even if they only consider it an exotic tourist thing to do, Buddhism is open to all. But I thought hard about what these people were doing there, what their connection or relationship to the place was. What they understood, why they came. What did they know that I don’t.

As the bus left the temple, I felt the distance grow. I want a home, a place where I can stop; where everything just stops. Life is this path we move along, never stopping, but at temples I feel that is where life stops, and as the bus moved away, I felt myself being removed, moving along on my path.

I guess that is what Amina was and is, metaphorically speaking. She represents God and love, and my relationship to her now represents my relationship with God and love. Things distant, far away. I don’t know where they or she are, what they are, or what they are doing, but I know they are out there. Someday we will have that chance meeting on the street.

Life does not stop with Josephine. Not yet. It slows down just a bit, but life’s insistent pace doesn’t allow for any more. She has endeared herself to me. We’re still hanging around each other, we’re getting more physical and comfortable in it, and it’s pretty obvious that we’re interested in each other.


Frame 7 - Josephine