Current Legal Problems class has a moot court type thing next Tuesday. I was worried that many of the Thai and international students might have trouble with the English in the problem, and so I organized a study session and crammed to understand the reading to be able to answer any questions they might have.
It was tiring, but kind of fun. It turned into a sort of zoo. I hope it helped them. I just want to make sure they aren’t disadvantaged by the language barrier. We’re in Thailand and the Thai students have been helping us through every bit of our lives, but the English speaking students have the clear advantage in the classroom. Most of the Thai students can’t understand the lectures when the professors speak too fast or with too many colloquialisms. I imagine it must be odd to be in Thailand and going to class and not understanding the lectures. That’s what it must have been like in the States.
Josephine and I had a slight problem today, but we worked it out by night and ended up talking for several hours again late night. I don’t know if this is developing into anything. She’s sweet and all, and has a really good heart. I love her laugh and she has a sense of humor. I like her enough, but I don’t know if it’s creating a great stir in my heart. It’s pleasant, sweet, some attraction, some chemistry. There isn’t the staunch loyalty and adoration I have for Madoka, or the infatuation and drowning I had for Amina. But what do I expect? I just met her!
While Josephine and I were talking, I recalled studying for Moons for Goons in Amina’s room in Third World House. It got later and later and I asked whether I should get going, and Amina responded so sweetly, “no...”. We drifted the night away and nodded off. She had left for class by the time I woke up in the morning. Our friendship had grown through the semester and I was quite in love with her by then. Will I ever touch that kind of love again?
I don’t know why the thought occurred to me while talking to Josephine. Maybe part of me is still regretting losing Amina and is reluctant to fall in love again. Maybe I feel guilty about something. Maybe I’m just wishing, hopeless romantic that I can’t help being.