Monday, September 21, 1998

email - 198 Shakespeare St., San Francisco

dear josephine,
what I still don't understand is how I was supposed to know that was all that you wanted, how was I to know that you were lonely. You said "do you want to come here?", the conversation was tense, I sensed hostility, the answer to the question "do you want to come here?" was clearly "no". If you asked, "could you come here, I feel lonely" the answer would have been different. doesn't it bother you that it took almost 18 hours for me to realize what you meant? the truth is you weren't very clear about what you wanted and I don't think you can expect me to figure out what you wanted. I don't react well to what I perceive as hostility. Hostility doesn't tell me you're lonely, it tells me that I'm at risk of getting into a really bad situation.

that's what I want to say, now it's OK and we can let it go.